I've been assaulted. What do I do?

You are not alone. Many people survive rape or sexual assault and cope with these experiences. You are in no way responsible for your sexual assault. A sexual assault can happen to anyone regardless of how they look or act. Speak with a counselor. Sexual assault is a traumatic experience that can cause many emotional repercussions. No one should have to deal with that alone - what happened is NOT your fault.
First and foremost, think about your personal safety. Are you safe from your attacker? Do you need immediate help?

  • If you do not feel you are safe, call Oklahoma State University Police Department (OSUPD) or Stillwater Police Department (SPD) and they will immediately assist you.
    • OSUPD:  (405) 744-6523 for on-campus incidents
    • SPD:  (405) 372-4171 for off-campus incidents
  • OSU has victim advocates (405-564-2129) that can assist you and help meet your immediate needs Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. The advocates will give you advice, information, talk with you about your options, and facilitate decision making.
  • Wings of Hope also has a 24-hour Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline (405-624-3020) to meet these needs during the evenings and weekends.

Once you have secured your safety, think about getting medical attention.
Medical Attention
Immediate medical attention may be necessary to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infection and possible pregnancy, as well as treat any wounds incurred.
The Stillwater community is very fortunate to have a Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) program at Stillwater Medical Center.  This special service assures a victim of sexual assault examination and treatment by a SANE nurse.  The nurse will perform the examination and stay with the victim throughout the treatment process.  Stillwater Medical Center (SMC), Wings of Hope, and law enforcement collaborate to provide service and care to survivors of sexual assault. This does not preclude you receiving assistance from OSU's Sexual Assault Advocate.  The OSU Student Health Center does not have the SANE program and does not provide emergency care. The following information may be helpful to know regarding the SANE exam and advocacy services:

  • In order to recieve a sexual assault exam, you should go to Stillwater Medical Center ER. Once you are there, SMC will call law enforcement, a SANE nurse, and an advocate to meet you.  If you call the OSU Sexual Assault Advocate or law enforcement before you get to the ER, they will dispatch the SANE nurse and a police officer to meet you.
  • Do not shower, bathe, douche, change or destroy clothes; do not eat, drink, smoke or chew gum; do not take any medications; do not remove sheets from bed; do not straighten room or place of the incident.  Preserving evidence is critical for criminal prosecution. If you do take evidence (i.e., sheets), you need to take it in a brown paper bag (not plastic). Plastic may contaminate evidence. Although an individual may not want to prosecute immediately after the incident, that choice may not be available later without credible evidence. The evidence collected can also be useful in the campus disciplinary process.
  • Receiving a SANE exam does not commit you to a full prosecution, rather will preserve any potential evidence if you decide you would like to prosecute at a later date.
  • Upon arrival at Stillwater Medical Center, the victim will be taken to a private exam area. Only the nurse and possibly the advocate, if requested by the victim, will be in the exam room during the forensic gynecological exam. The police, nurse, and advocate will meet in another private room afterwards or beforehand to take your statement, discuss resources, and answer questions.
  • The advocate will provide a packet of written materials to you.  This material contains information about common reactions to sexual assault, follow-up medical needs, and support services.  The advocate will encourage you to access any support services that you want/feel ready to utilize, such as counseling services available from the OSU Student Counseling Center or other community counseling resources.

Support Services
Even if you choose not to access medical attention, you are encouraged to seek support services when you are ready.  These might include counseling, law enforcement, or student conduct services. You can read more about resources on the Campus Resources or Interim Safety Measures page.